Professional Writing Major
The professional writing program at UIndy allows students to develop the writing skills they need to be relevant in the workplace. Whether you are interested in print media or digital media, writing is a necessary skill, and our professors are devoted to helping you develop as a professional writer. Classes like Book Editing and Publishing and Writing for the Web can help you discover new ways to write, edit and share your work with the world. It is becoming increasingly important in the digital age for companies of all kinds to have knowledgeable writers and editors on staff, so businesses are on the lookout for people who studied writing, business, editing and communications. Our professional writing major will prepare you to meet this growing demand. Or, choose a professional writing minor to gain a basic business writing foundation that complements any degree.
- Strong focus on practical business skills, including document design, online publishing, web development and multimedia delivery
- Learn to manage projects from inception to delivery
- Lead writing and publishing projects in actual and virtual locations
- Service-learning opportunities with local schools
- Practical experience that will help equip you for your career
Potential careers in professional writing
- Professional editor: Edit magazines, websites, books, marketing materials and other publications.
- Professional writer: Write for print and digital media.
- Technical writer: Write technical documents, such as instruction manuals.
- Grant writer: Work for non-profits to help them receive grant money.
- Publishing: Use your skills in the publishing world as an editor or a project manager.
Professional writing might be for you if:
- You have a strong interest in writing and editing in the workplace
- You have an interest in technical writing and project management
- You enjoy learning about how digital media is changing the way people read and interact with marketing materials
- You have a desire to learn the best ways to create and market online content
Pairing a professional writing minor with another degree provides you with a communication skill set that is valuable in almost any field. From letters and memos to marketing material and web content, the ability to write quality, engaging material is constantly in high demand. Completion of this minor requires a minimum of 21 hours of core requirements and electives.
The curriculum guides outline the different classes that you will be required to take as a professional writing major. The general education guide provides a list of the class options and different required courses that you will need to take in order to fulfill UIndy’s general education requirements. The professional writing guide outlines and lists all of the classes you will need take in order to fulfill the major’s requirements. Be sure to take a look at both guides in order to get a complete picture of what your classes will look like at UIndy.