Choral Ensemble Auditions
Auditions for UIndy Choral Ensembles are open to all students and are required for all vocal music majors, students receiving Choral Ensemble Fellowships, and returning students who wish to participate in a choir. If you are not majoring in music but enjoy singing you should definitely consider joining one of our choral ensembles. Whether you're an experienced musician, or you've never sung in a choir in your life, we have a place for you!
Auditions will be held in CDFAC 108 on the following days and times:
- Friday, August 25, 2017: 3 - 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday, August 26, 2017: 3 - 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday, August 27, 2017: 3 - 5:30 p.m.
Sign up for an audition
An audition sign-up sheet will be posted outside the Music Office (CDFAC 103) during the week before classes begin. Please sign up for a time near someone else to avoid large gaps in the schedule. If you wait too long to sign up and find that there are no remaining audition times please add your name to the bottom of one of the audition days.
What to expect in an audition
The audition is an opportunity for the choral ensemble directors to meet you and hear you sing. For some of us that means singing My Country Tis of Thee or The Star Spangled Banner. For others it will be singing French, German, or Italian art songs, or perhaps something from Handel's Messiah or an opera aria.
If you do have prepared pieces that you would like to sing please bring your music with you. We’ll provide an accompanist.
You'll also be asked about your musical training and experience, and you’ll be invited to demonstrate whatever your ability is to read music. You may also be asked to try other pitch and rhythm exercises all of which are designed to help the music directors know how best to use your voice.
College credit is available and it can be applied toward your degree.
UIndy has five choral ensembles to choose from:
- Concert Choir is a mixed group with 48 members that performs a wide variety of musical styles ranging from folk songs and spirituals to serious classical works with orchestra. It meets from 3-4:20 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- Crimson Express is our vocal jazz ensemble. It has between 12 and 16 members and performs with sound equipment and a band. It meets each Monday and Wednesday from 4:30-5:50 p.m.
- Schola meets every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 2-2:50 p.m. and is a 16-voice chamber ensemble specializing in literature from the Renaissance and Baroque as well as other periods.
- Women's Chorus is open to all students and includes both music majors and non-majors. It meets on Tuesday and Thursday from 4-5:20 p.m.
- Voices of Worship is our Gospel ensemble and is open to all students. It meets each Monday evening from 8-9:20 p.m.
For more information, contact:
Dr. Paul Krasnovsky
Director of Choral Activities