Graduate Certificate in Health Professions Education
Many health professionals with a graduate degree desire to transition from professional practice to teaching in academia. Being well-versed in your profession is not enough, however, to make a great clinician a great teacher. The Graduate Certificate in Health Professions Education (HPE) at the University of Indianapolis is designed to provide a comprehensive program to prepare health professionals to successfully make the move from practice to the classroom. The HPE graduate certificate is especially appealing to individuals who want to bolster their teaching skills without pursuing a doctoral degree.
Students in the UIndy HPE graduate certificate program will:
- Describe andragogy (the method and practice of teaching adult learners);
- Define and use various instructional methodologies;
- Critique and design curricula;
- Describe and/or use at least one or more of the following: methods for assessing educational outcomes; methods for designing, implementing, and evaluating online courses; or the history and current state of higher education in the United States; and
- Demonstrate competency in a supervised teaching program.
The HPE graduate certificate is delivered in a completely online format, making it accessible to students regardless of geographic location. The online delivery allows students to work toward set deadlines on a schedule that works for them.
The HPE graduate certificate requires the completion of 15 credit hours (or five classes). Students must take all of the following courses:
- HSCI 510 Foundations of Adult Learning (3 credits)
- HSCI 610 Instructional Design and Delivery (3 credits)
- HSCI 611 Curriculum Development in Health Sciences (3 credits)
- HSCI 619 Teaching Practicum (3 credits)
In addition, students must choose one of the following:
- HSCI 612 Higher Education and the Professions (3 credits)
- HSCI 613 Designing an Online Course (3 credits)
- HSCI 639 Standardized Assessments in Health (3 credits)
All credits that apply toward the HPE graduate certificate must be earned through the designated HPE courses; no transfer credits will be accepted.
Students are admitted in fall, winter and summer semesters. Applications are due at least one month prior to the start of the semester.
- Complete online application
- Application fee of $50.00 (paid online)
- Official transcripts for all degrees earned. Transcripts should document achievement of a master's or doctorate degree from a regionally accredited institution with at least a cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)
- At least two years of recent experience working in a health-related field and hold a current license (if one is required to practice in your discipline)
- Professional experience can be documented through a resume or curriculum vitae.
- Proof of license can be provided via official documentation from state licensing board.
- Personal statement, which should be no more than three pages (double-spaced), highlighting your background/experience, educational, and career goals, and your specific interest in the Graduate Certificate in Health Professions Education at the University of Indianapolis
- Resume or curriculum vitae
For information on application, admission, or to ask questions about the Graduate Certificate in Health Professions Education, please contact:
317-788-3495 or 1-800-232-8632, x3495