Skip to content
UIndy's Federal School Code: 001804
At a Glance

Attention Federal PLUS Borrowers

All Federal PLUS loans are administered through the Federal Direct PLUS loan program, which means you borrow directly from the government.

Apply online now

To start a Federal Direct PLUS Loan application (parent or graduate student), you can click on the link at the bottom of this page. Be sure to read through the following instructions first.

Note: The student must have filed a FAFSA before the Federal Direct PLUS Loan application can be submitted.

How to sign in

The link below takes you to where you will sign in under “Manage My Direct Loan." When you sign in you will need your FSA ID and password. 

What’s an FSA ID and password?

As of May 2015 the FSA ID is replacing the PIN number as the way to access student information and forms like the PLUS loan applications and the FAFSA. If you haven't created an FSA ID and password, please note that it could take up to three days for your FSA ID to become active. Once you have signed in, you can complete an application for the PLUS loan. If it is your first time to borrow on a PLUS loan, you will need to complete a PLUS Master Promissory Note in addition to the application.

  • For graduate students – use your FSA ID and password that you used on your FAFSA.

  • For parent borrowers – you must use your own FSA ID and password. 
    Tip - If you have signed a FAFSA for one of your children, you have one! If not, you may apply for an FSA ID and password through Be sure to use your FSA ID and not your student’s FSA ID.

Once you have signed in, you can complete an application for the PLUS loan.

Here are some points to review:

Pay attention to the sections

For Parent PLUS borrowers, be sure to put all of your information under the borrower section and your student’s information under the student section.

What amount can I request? 

For parent and graduate PLUS borrowers, you can request either the maximum amount or a specific dollar amount. If you request the maximum, then the Office of Financial Aid will process up to the student’s total cost of attendance minus other aid received. If you are not sure what amount to request, you can contact the Office of Financial Aid. It helps to have the student’s award letter so you can see the balance due for the year.

Can I request a loan for one semester only through the online application?

Usually you will want to request enough to cover the entire academic year (please note that the federal government takes off at least 4% of the loan amount borrowed before disbursement to the school). If you do want an amount for one semester only, then you can request a one-semester only loan during the application process. 

Don’t forget your Master Promissory Note!

Once you have completed the application, then you must also complete a Master Promissory Note if you have not already borrowed on a Federal Direct PLUS loan.

Additional tips for Parent PLUS borrowers

You have a couple of other options as well while filing your application.

  • You can request a deferment on payments while your student is in school. If you choose this option, please note that interest will still accrue and should be paid.
  • If a PLUS loan disbursement creates a refund, the parent has the option of the refund going to the student or parent. Please note that if you want the refund in your name, and not the student’s, then you will receive a check from the Accounting Office ONLY if it is the PLUS loan that creates the refund. Also, at the beginning of each semester the Accounting Office does not send out refund checks to parents until the third week of classes.
  • If you are denied, you can appeal. If your appeal is approved, you will be required to complete PLUS counseling, which you can do online at

Graduate PLUS borrowers, have you filed a FAFSA first? 

Before applying for a Graduate PLUS loan, be sure you have filed your FAFSA and have a Federal Direct Stafford loan approved first as the interest rate is a little lower than the Graduate PLUS loan. If you are still in need of assistance after the Stafford loan, then the graduate PLUS loan would be your next best option.

Click here to apply now.