About the Center for Advising & Student Achievement
The Center for Advising & Student Achievement (CASA) serves entering freshmen, transfer students, seniors and students exploring majors and minors. Our mission is to provide a centralized, integrated program of advising and mentoring, empowering students using major exploration, academic planning and course registration. Our experienced advisors are knowledgeable in your academic area of interest. Need additional guidance outside of our office to support your educational endeavors? We’ll introduce you to faculty and other offices that can help.
Soon after you become a new student, you will be guided to schedule an initial appointment with your advisor using UIndy's Center for Advising online scheduling system.
We also help with the following:
- Issuing your registration code: You will need this to register for classes.
- Issuing override codes: You will need this if you wish to repeat a course or register for a course in which you would otherwise be restricted from enrolling.
- Dropping/adding a course: You must have your academic advisor’s signature to withdraw from a course or add a course before the deadline.
- Selecting courses: We’ll check that you’re taking the right courses and number of credit hours so you can stay on target with graduation requirements.
- Reviewing transcripts: We can help you determine whether you have met prerequisites for a course or have fulfilled general education requirements from courses taken at another university.
- Answering questions about registration: Not sure of your registration time or how to register? We’re here to help!
A four-year academic plan of integrated curricular and co-curricular activities will serve as a roadmap to earning your degree, and will help ensure that you’re on time to graduate. This plan is intended to be flexible and will need to be adapted to circumstances throughout your time at UIndy, but it will help empower your decision-making and set you up for a more robust educational experience starting your first year.
If you’re a transfer student, we’ll examine your transcripts, confirm which credits will transfer and inform you of your remaining graduation requirements. Maybe you need help deciding on a major. Or maybe your plan will include studying abroad or taking on one or more internships. Thinking about a long-range plan may seem daunting, but we’re here to help simplify the process through our services and by connecting you to other resources and offices.
CASA advisors offer mentoring to help you understand your identity, strengths and weaknesses and personal goals in the context of your academic experience. We'll help you navigate the answers to difficult questions such as:
- Will this major help me accomplish my career goals?
- Should I switch majors? Do I have enough time?
- How will adding or dropping a course affect my academic plan?
- How do I add a major or minor?
Concerned about your academic performance? We can also help you identify and overcome any barriers to your success, and connect you to learning resources such as the Writing Center, Academic Success Center, Professional Edge Center and others.
When talking about your declared major, it’s important to think about related career options for after you graduate. We know that careers are usually a part of the conversation when mapping out your four-year curriculum with us, which is why we connect you to Career Services in the Professional Edge Center. There, you’ll get additional coaching on ways that you can use your education and unique skillset. The Professional Edge Center can also help you network with employers, market yourself, and prepare for internships and jobs.
Students can locate the name and contact information of their assigned advisor by logging into My UIndy and selecting the Center for Advising link from the Students tab. On the Center for Advising channel, students can also schedule an appointment though the online scheduling system. Even though you are assigned an advisor, all advisors can access your information, so you can walk in anytime during our scheduled hours and address your questions and concerns.