Bachelor of Music in Music Education
The music education major is for those who wish to teach music to K-12 students. This major combines our most fundamental music courses with the Department of Education’s teaching curriculum. It is designed not only to give you an exceptional education in music, but also to prepare you to pass your knowledge off to students in a classroom.
To be eligible for an all-grade teaching license, you must take at least 80.5 credit hours in music, in addition to education courses. You can complete the program in four years. To make sure you stay on track, you'll have two academic advisers—one in the Music Department and one in the Teacher Education Department.
- UIndy's School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
- Splitting time between the music and education programs, you'll learn the fundamentals of both disciplines
- You'll have the option of choosing an applied music major area in piano/instrumental or vocal
- You'll gain a broad education in music theory and music performance
- You'll have the ability to enter the classroom within your first year, gaining experience very early on in your education
- Classroom experience enables you to take a hands-on approach to applying what you learn in the classroom
- Education courses teach you how to confidently enter a classroom, from lesson-planning to articulating your own unique approach to pedagogy.
- The Indianapolis area has a large public school system, with a variety of school settings in which to gain experience.
Music education might be for you if:
- You love music and have a passion for helping younger students develop their musicianship
- You have a desire to teach in a classroom setting
- You're interested in developing administrative skills
- You want to get involved in and make an impact on your community
- You genuinely enjoy helping others
These curriculum guides outline the different classes you will need to take as a music education major. The general education guide provides a list of all the classes you need in order to fulfill UIndy’s general education requirements. The music education guide lists the classes you'll need to take to fulfill your major’s requirements. Be sure to take a look at both guides in order to get a complete picture of what your classes will look like at UIndy.