Graduate English & TESOL Admission Requirements
The graduate English and TESOL programs at UIndy have two different application deadline dates. If you are interested in applying for Semester I, then your application must be submitted by July 15. If you are interested in starting the program during Semester II, then you need to apply by November 1. Late applications will still be considered, but those turned in before the due date will have priority.
To apply to the program, submit the following:
- Graduate online application
- $30 application fee
- Official transcripts from each university or college attended
- Official Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores. (You do not have to take and submit GRE scores if your undergraduate grade point average was over a 3.2)
- Three reference letters. At least two must be from academic sources.
- Personal statement that outlines career goals and reasons for applying to the program
- Writing sample
Writing sample guidelines
- Example of academic writing or a portfolio of your best creative or professional writing
- At least 10 pages in length
- Academic writing should have a clear thesis supported by evidence from primary sources, incorporate research, and follow appropriate citations
- Creative/professional portfolio should reflect the graduate studies you intend to pursue and demonstrate a critical understanding of the theories, ideas and genres at play in the work
Additional requirements for international applicants and students for whom English is a second language
- Submit a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of at least 603 on the paper-based test, 250/5.0 on the computer-based test, 100 on the Internet-based test, or provide an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of at least 7. TOEFL scores should be sent to institution code R1321.
- Provide certification of finances (for students who are applying for a visa), showing that you have adequate funds to support yourself during your time of study
- A photocopy of your passport to ensure I-20 information is accurate
Unless otherwise noted, send all information to:
University of Indianapolis
Department of English
Esch Hall, Room 044
1400 E. Hanna Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46227
Questions? Call 317-788-3241 or contact Molly Martin.