Etchings Press Whirling Prize
Etchings Press, a student-run publisher at University of Indianapolis, welcomes recently published books on issues related to social justice. Students are employing a broad interpretation of this criteria in their reading and judging and are especially interested in reading books with a focus on urban life, environmentalism, and historical movements. Two $500 prizes will be awarded, and the winners will be invited to campus in Spring 2018 to participate as a speaker in the Kellogg Writers Series. Graduate and undergraduate students will read the submitted books and choose the two winners. The postmark deadline for submission is Sept. 1, 2017.
"It is that something in the soul which says, Rage on, Whirl on, I tread master here and everywhere—Master of the spasms of the sky and of the shatter of the sea, Master of nature and passion and death, and of all terror and all pain." – Walt Whitman
This year, students are interested in reading and judging recently published books on issues related to social justice. Students are employing a broad interpretation of this criteria in their reading and judging and are especially interested in reading books with a focus on urban life, environmentalism, and historical movements.
Entry and judging details
- All books connected to the topic of social justice published since January 2015 are eligible.
- Books can be any genre (or mixed genre), including poetry, memoir, creative nonfiction, short stories, or novels.
- Undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Indianapolis will read all entries and choose two winners to invite to campus.
- Winners will be announced in December 2017.
- Winners must agree to give a reading and a class talk at University of Indianapolis.
- After the announcement, UIndy faculty will work with the winners to coordinate their visit in Spring 2018.
- All entries will be housed in UIndy’s Krannert Memorial Library for future student use.
- The reading fee is $20 (payable to University of Indianapolis).
- All entries must be postmarked by Sept. 1, 2017.
Submission and reading fee
Please send one copy of your book and a reading fee of $20 (payable to University of Indianapolis) to:
UIndy English Department
c/o Etchings Press
1400 E. Hanna Ave.
Indianapolis, IN 46227
Please include a cover letter that shares your contact information (name, address, phone number, and email address). We also welcome short bios.
If you have any questions, please contact Liz Whiteacre.