Information Systems & Applied Business Analytics major
Information systems & applied business analytics is the use of computers and other technology and information to help people and businesses be more creative and productive. It is different from computer science, which focuses on computer hardware and languages and specialized systems software.
Careers in this field are some of the fastest growing and highest paying. Analytics skills are applicable to a wide variety of disciplines, such as marketing, supply chain management, education, human resources, politics, and health, as organizations strive to make better decisions using internal and external data. Through UIndy's Information Systems & Applied Business Analytics program, you'll get a robust foundation that prepares you to pursue either a business or technology career with a strong understanding of how the two are closely connected.
The applied analytics focus of UIndy's curriculum has critical uses in all aspects of business and also pairs well as a minor with other business majors. UIndy also offers an associate degree in Information Systems & Applied Business Analytics.
“Dr. Flatto took me under his wing when I was changing majors and helped me through the transition. When I had my first class with him, he invested his time with me to make sure I was understanding the material. He knew that I did not have any background with the exercises we were doing in class. After working very diligently in three of his courses, he plugged me in to his professional network. He is the reason I have my internship today. He has always shown me opportunities that I would not have known existed otherwise.”
- Classes utilize tools and techniques that are at the leading edge of the industry, including industry standard software, such as SAS, SAS Enterprise Miner, Tableau, Microsoft Excel and OpenRefine.
- Students work on actual analytics projects for external clients, providing valuable experience that is applicable to internships and career positions. Recent clients have included a tour company, a logistic firm, a local police department and other local businesses.
- Frequent guest lectures from Indianapolis business professionals provide real-world perspective.
- Courses incorporate an analytics methodology that ties the various classes together into an integrative experience.
Information Systems & Applied Business Analytics students and grads have interned or work for:
- Interactive Intelligence
- State of Indiana
- Indiana Pacers
- Indianapolis Motor Speedway
- Indianapolis Super Bowl Host Committee
- Indy Teledata
“Through the use of ExtendSim 4, I created a simulation of a Humane Society and analyzed its processes. After analysis, I streamlined the operations, which increased customer satisfaction and saved the company thousands of dollars per week in overtime wages. This prepared me for my career by giving me real-life work that is highly applicable to tasks that I may be asked to do in my career. It fostered my critical thinking and attention to detail, not to mention the technical skills I learned with ExtendSim 4.”
Potential careers in Information Systems & Applied Business Analytics
- Business analyst
- Business intelligence analyst
- Data scientist
- Data analyst
- Marketing analyst
- Systems analyst
- Database developer/administrator/manager
- Network administrator/engineer/manager
- Computer/technical support
- IT manager
- Project manager
Information Systems & Applied Business Analytics might be for you if:
- You like computers and technology
- You like problem solving
- You pay attention to detail and accuracy
- You enjoy troubleshooting to solve problems
- You work well under pressure
- You have strong communication and organizational skills
These curriculum guides outline the classes you'll need to take as an Information Systems & Applied Business Analytics major. The general education curriculum guide lists your class options and requirements to fulfill UIndy's general education requirements, while the Information Systems curriculum guide lists the classes needed to major in Information Systems & Applied Business Analytics. You'll need to look at both guides to get a complete picture of what classes you'll take at UIndy.